3.20.2012

In a World That Gets Lost in Making Plans…

I had a very interesting conversation with a small group of friends the other day. The topic of the future came up and all that it entails. The subject of relationships undoubtedly made and appearance and once again I heard, “well three of my friends got engaged in the last two weeks and now I’m depressed”. 

This sentence seemed to open a floodgate of:

“Oh my gosh me too!”
“Whenever I get ‘that phone call’ I always think about my relationship”
“It's so depressing"

…. Um why? I sat in silence and continued to listen.

I’m not trying to stir up the controversial pot here, but I can’t ever seem to understand why some people have these reactions to their friends engagement announcements. To say that no one ever compares their relationship or marital status to others' would be a lie. We all do it. However, you should have an underlying security within yourself to know that where you are is exactly where you're supposed to be. Oh, trust and patience!


If you're happy stop comparing it, stop overanalyzing it, and let it be.  When you trust your relationship you don't need to explain it or label it, and you don't judge it. It is what it is. And that's a good thing.

Every relationship is unique. The people are unique, the timing is unique, the circumstances are unique. So instead of having that gut-twisting feeling drop in your belly when you hear, "im engaged!", be happy for your friend. 

Simmer down, chill out, and just hang. Because guess what?  One day you'll be making that phone call and that's something to look forward to.

Now for some cheese.