8.22.2011

Mirror Mirror On The Wall...

Not the case for this Bride-to-Be. UCLA student and Ph.D candidate, Kjerstin Gruys (Photo Source: Courtesy of Kjerstin Gruys/YouBeauty.com) has vowed not to look in the mirror for 12 months- six of which will lead up to her wedding.  Her blog “Mirror Mirror Off the Wall” details her quest to not look at herself in a vain manner. 

To take it a step further, the 12 months that Kjerstin won’t be looking at her reflection goes through her wedding date of October 2011.  The project doesn't end until March 2012. I can’t help but wonder, why go past your wedding date and not right up to it? 

I would at least hope that may be, just maybe, she will allow herself to look in the mirror on the day or her wedding.  I’d bend the rules for that- any bride should.  But it's not my project and an interesting one at that.  At least she's given herself an escape clause in Rule #8.  Thank goodness!

Would you be able to not look in the mirror for 12 months- even on your wedding day? 

Kudos to this bride. This is not something I would be able to do for the simplest of reasons:  When it rains my hair frizzes and there’s no way I’d walk out of my door without making sure the beast was tame- woof.  Check out her rules below and take a peek at her blog!

THE RULES
  1. The project started on March 26th, 2011 and will end on March 25th, 2012.  (FYI - I'm getting married October 1st, 2011!)
  2. I allowed myself a 1-month transitional period.  This is when I figured out how to navigate/avoid mirrors in my daily life, and how to apply make-up, style my hair, put in contacts, etc. without using a mirror.
  3. Reflective surfaces do "count".  Window shopping has become very tricky... :(
  4. Of course I use my rear- and side-view mirrors when driving.  I just can't use them to check myself out!
  5. I'm allowing myself to look at my shadow.
  6. When using Skype or other video-chat programs, I disable features that allow me to see my own image.
  7. My readers voted on Day 36, and I'm NOT allowed to view photographs of myself throughout the year ... with the exception of my wedding photos.  ***NOTE - I'm not actually sure whether I'll look at my wedding photos, but it's nice to have the option!
  8. Any/all of these rules become null if this project makes me go insane. 
CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL ARTICLE